Sunday, November 3, 2013

Removable Dresden Plate - Part 2

If you missed my first series, you can find the post here.  In that post, we cut and stitched our ties together.  In this post, we'll put on our backing.

If you will recall, this is where we left off with the ties all stitched together.




Now we'll stitch this piece onto our backing.  I chose a lightweight muslin to avoid excess bulk in the points.

You want a muslin piece large enough to accommodate the dresden.  Place the dresden on the muslin right side down.

Very carefully pin your dresden to the muslin.  You don't want a lot of lifting or shifting to avoid puckers in the muslin.  Trim away the excess muslin, so you have a smaller piece with which to work.  Here it is all pinned and trimmed.


Then take it to your machine and start stitching around the perimeter with a scant 1/4" seam.  When you get to the valleys, stop at the seam line where the ties are stitched together.  I couldn't get a close up of this, but if you look closely, you can see my needle right at that seam allowance below.


And this is a close up after it is all stitched.  See how my outer stitch line is right on that seam allowance where the ties are joined?  (bottom right of the pic)


Now trim away the muslin even with your ties.  I have a bit of puckering but not to worry, it won't be a problem once we turn.


Now clip your point very close to the seam allowance but not through it.

And clip those valleys up to the stitch line but not through it.

Now very carefully turn your dresden through the middle hole in the front.

Now use something with a point to poke out those points.  I used the blunt side of this bamboo stick then with very light pressure use it to push out your points.  Don't do this with a lot of pressure, since you could poke a hole right through your work.

Next, give the whole thing a good pressing.  Be sure when you are pressing that your muslin doesn't show on the other side.  You may have to work with this as you are pressing.  Also give the front side a light pressing.

The last thing we'll do in this post is topstitch around the outside edge.


And this is what you should  have now.


In the next series, we'll attach the center circle to cover that hole.  I came up with a really easy way to get a perfect circle with a 1/4" hem.  Stay tuned.

Happy Sunday.
Angela



4 comments:

  1. It's looking super good! I'm anxious to see how you do the center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. This one has been a labor of love for sure! I am waffling a bit on how I will attach it to my quilt though. I keep going back and forth with several ideas. Lol

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the step-by-step and informative tutorial. I am following along and making a Dresden Tie Quilt from you site. I've just ordered the interfacing you recommended. Hopefully it will be in by the time I get them all taken apart and ironed.

    I'm so appreciative of others that share their time, talents and knowledge with others. May God bless you more and more for what you do.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I appreciate your sweet comments.

      Delete