Monday, December 15, 2014

Tote Bag

I finished this tote bag last week for my FIL's fiance.  He was in the hospital recently, and she was there with him playing nurse maid.  She commented that a bag would have been very convenient in this circumstance, since she had a lot of things that she needed to be able to access quickly and easily.

I have made this bag before, and it is super easy and quick.  It came from the gook "Home Stuff" by Linda Lum DeBono.  This is a bag I did last year for my MIL with a matching crochet bag.

I added a luggage tag on the outside that she can take on and off if she chooses.  There are 3 large pockets across the front - the solid blue.  And I added one small pocket on top of the larger pockets just because I thought it needed something else.  The ribbons were added to hide the seams, because I didn't like them on this bag.  And I thought the added lace just made it girly.  And she is definitely a girly girl - and right up my alley!!

Here is the close up of the front.

This bag is very roomy.  I folded a king sized blanket and stuffed it down inside. There is plenty of room in there!!

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope you have a wonderful Monday!

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Adding ruffles to RTW jeans - Tutorial



Big difference, huh?  I'll show you how I did this in about an hour.  Very simple.  I didn't choose these fabrics.  My friend, Cheryl, did.  She had a shirt embroidered for her dgd and wanted the jeans to match.

The belt was easy.  I cut a 4" strip the WOF.  Folded that in half, opened it back out and folded the edges in to meet the fold line.  Fold again and stitch down both long ends turning in the short ends and stitching those closed.

Now for the ruffles.  This is not rocket science, so no worries about getting these perfect.  We wanted the ruffle on the bottom slightly larger than the other two.  

Here are my pieces.  I cut the pink polka dot at 3.5" X WOF and the other two 3" X WOF.  2 strips of each, but I wound up only needing one.

I hemmed the long edges using a rolled hem on my sewing machine because my serger is in the shop.

I tried ruffling the pink and purple together, but it wasn't as full as I wanted. You can see the pink isn't as full.

So I took it apart and ruffled them separately.  I used my ruffler foot, but you can easily do this with a gathering stitch.  I ran it right on top of my stitch line of my hem.  We didn't want any length added to the jeans, so I only dropped the ruffle down 1/2" below the hem line of the jeans.  I pinned the ruffle in place.

When you get back to the first pin, overlap the ruffle by 1/4" and mark with a pin.

Take it off and to the machine and stitch a 1/4" seam at the pin mark. I pinned it here to show you.

I used my pinking blade to trim the seam.
And it should look like this now.

Pin this back to your jeans legs and use a basting stitch to attach.  **Note.  I put a piece of tape on my machine and lined up the hem line of the jeans to be sure the ruffle was stitched on straight.  If the ruffle 

And here it is stitched on.

Repeat the same procedure with your next ruffle. I aligned it on the same seam so the seams would be stacked.  I used a basting stitch again.
You can see them better here.
Now stitch it along the ruffled stitched line.  I still used my tape as a guide.
This is why I say no need to worry about exact measurements.  I have a smidge extra width on my purple ruffle.  See where my finger is poking through?  That's roughly 1/2" too much.
 To fix it, I simply pinched the excess.
 And folded it toward the seam (toward me).  Stitch right over it.
 It just blends right in.
 Now it's time for the last ruffle.  I ran my ruffle stitch line right down the middle of this last piece.  I wanted to be able to move it just above the first two ruffles to hide the seams.
 I used the same procedure for attaching this ruffle.  Line up the ruffle stitch line right on top of the previous stitch line.  Sew it on the ruffle stitch line (right down the middle of the top ruffle).
 Lift the ruffle edge just to be sure you are covering the other ruffles.  You also want to be sure to catch the other two ruffles on this stitch line since they were only basted.  This last stitch line will secure all of them.
 And now stand back and admire your new ruffles.
And I thought I'd give you a modeled picture.  Isn't she adorable??
Happy Birthday Emma!

Thanks for stopping by and feel free to ask any questions especially if I haven't made something clear.  


Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Smocked Pillow Case

I am making a pair of these for a Christmas gift for the daughter of one of my best friends.  The pattern is from an old AS&E issue and the smocking plate from an old Sew Beautiful magazine.  The floss is DMC but I can't remember the number.  I'll look and update this post later.  The fabric is a cotton sateen that I picked up from a fabric shop in Savannah called Fabrika.

The pattern called for piping between the case and the smocked panel.  I decided to use a satin ribbon.  It really didn't have the affect I was going for, so I'll rethink that on the next ones if I decide to make anymore.  I had quite a few issues with these and won't go into a lot of detail.  But many ugly words were said and tantrums thrown.  And I even walked away for a week at one point. LOL

The pattern calls for doing a simple scalloped hem, but I wanted a little frill, so I stitched on some lace with a little entredeux.  I hadn't used this method in I'm guessing 10 years or more.  I definitely need some more practice with this technique.  But I will add more projects to get the practice, because I'd forgotten how much I enjoy heirloom sewing.  The entredeux is from Capitol Imports and the lace I had in my stash.

I hope Gracyn loves her new pillow cases.  Despite all my problems with them, I really enjoyed them after the fact. Lol

Happy Tuesday.

Linking up with:

Show and Tell Tuesday
Sew Many Ways