Wednesday, January 30, 2013
I was nominated for the Liebster Blog Award by Prayersformymom. Thank you Shirley for thinking of me!
The Liebster Blog Award is an award given by bloggers to up and coming bloggers, most of whom have less than 200 followers (definitely me)(or have been blogging for less than 6 months). It is to show newer bloggers that they are appreciated, and to help spread the word about new blogs. It was created to promote appreciation and recognition among the blog world. Liebster translates to “dearest” (or favorite/best) in German. It is also known as the Love Blog Award." It's been fun to get to know some bloggers better and a great way to pass on the love.
Here are the rules:
1. You must post 11 random things about yourself
2. Answer the 11 questions given by the nominator.
3. Create 11 new questions for those you nominate.
4. Choose 11 new blogs and link to them in your post.
11 random things about me:
1. I am very competitive.
2. I lived most of my life in a trailer. We were military and moved around a lot, so it was easier just to move the trailer without having to pack up everything.
3. I am trying desperately to give up my potty mouth. By the grace of God, I'm getting there. Does "crap" count?
3. I went into labor at exactly 29 weeks with all 3 of my pregnancies.
4. My oldest son was my biggest baby weighing in at 9lbs and 2 1/2 weeks early!
5. My favorite music is classic rock, but I listen to just about everything.
6. I took home ec in 7th grade and made my first wrap skirt. Didn't pick up sewing though until my daughter was born.
7. I don't like people who tell you they love you but show you something different.
8. When I was 18, I went on a cruise all by myself for a week. First time I ever flew too. I felt for the guy sitting next to me!
9. I'm afraid of heights.
10. I'm a girly girl.
11. I don't celebrate my birthdays, Valentine's day or anniversaries. They are just "another day" for me.
Now here are my 11 questions to answer:
1. Why do you like blogging?
I started to keep track of the things I was making for others. I was having a hard time remembering who I gave what to! Now it's just fun to share with others.
2. Who are the most important people in your life?
My husband and 3 children.
3. What is something you would do or attempt if you could not fail?
I would sky dive if I wasn't afraid of heights!
4. Who influenced your life the most as you were growing up.
My abusive father actually. He showed me what NOT to do with my own children.
5. If you could travel anywhere you haven't been, where would it be and why?
Belize. I just want to sit on the beach with hubby and relax.
6. Tell us one of your favorite quotes.
Adversity breeds character!
7. Do you have good computer skills? If so, how did you learn them?
I am the computer "go to girl" in my office and at home. Mostly self taught.
8. Describe yourself in 5 words.
Honest, direct, fun, compassionate, and analytical.
9. When life throws you lemons, you throw them back!!
10. Is your best friend in high school still your best friend, or even just a friend?
Haven't seen her since we graduated.
11. What causes you to get your feelings hurt?
People who say hurtful things for absolutely no reason. Constructive criticism is one thing, but don't say things if they aren't constructive.
Now my 11 questions for bloggers I chose:
1. What is one thing in the world you would change right now if you had the power?
2. How did you get your blog started?
3. What was your favorite vacation?
4. What is your absolute favorite sweet?
5. Do you ever throw tantrums?
6. If a tornado was going to demolish your house and you had time to grab one thing, what would it be?
7. How old were you when you knew what you wanted to be when you grew up?
8. How old were you when you got your first speeding ticket?
9. Who was the first person/band you saw in concert?
10. What do want people to remember you for when you have gone to Heaven?
11. What are some words you live by?
And these are the blogs I have chosen for this award:
1. Gwendie Quilts
2. This and that in the rose garden.
4. Creations for Dolls.
5. By the Babbling Brooke
Okay ladies! There you have it. TMI about me and not enough about you.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
I think my big hold up was those bullions. Smocked bullions are NOT the same as embroidered ones. Well, they are kind of the same, but they don't behave the same way. I could get the little bullions done with few problems, but those big ones took some practice. A LOT OF PRACTICE!! I found a tute on Laurie Anderson's blog and some helpful hints from LaSewista. After reading those two, those bullions were toast!! I wish I had seen those sooner.
Then I ran out of floche. HA! It came in yesterday though, and I should have this one completed this week. In my defense, this has been one of my carpool projects. You know when you are waiting in carpool to pick up the kids with nothing to do. Well this is what I've been working on. I did not do the dress like the original, because, well, it is VERY expensive with all the lace. So I went with a more simple look. I wanted to try something on the bottom of the dress, but Gracie's mom always like extra room to let her dresses out to extend the life of them. So I'll try it on another project. Like I need another project!! lol
Have a great day!
Saturday, January 26, 2013
Check back later for my
Thanks for stopping by.
Monday, January 14, 2013
tute. Check it out! I must admit, I was nervous even using this method, so I managed to get just a tiny overlap. But I will have it perfect next time!
This is the first time I have done looped bullions. They are surprisingly easier for me to do than regular bullions. I have done a ton of bullions over the last few months, and I still stink at them! I thought we were supposed to get better with practice!! It seems that I get worse! lol I also chose a little scallop hem treatment. This was for a little boy, so I wanted simplicity. This little gift was well received! I'm glad she liked it. I might get lucky and get a modeled pic!
Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Here is another view. I really love this blue tatting thread.
I am a self taught tatter thanks to the help of a wonderful book I found at Handy Hands Tatting. Barbara is a jewel!! I called and emailed a few times on this and other projects when I ran into trouble, and she walked me right through it. I couldn't have done this without her. And how in the world she can look at email photos and tell me what I'm doing wrong just amazes me!! It's probably a good thing I don't live near her!!!