Friday, October 14, 2011

Sneak Peak!

 This is just sneak preview of the bed skirt and pillow shams I made for Britt's bed in her new house.  The photo to the left isn't that great (I need a new camera), but it'll do for now.  My little guy wanted to help me with the pic of the sham.  He loves to help me when I'm sewing.  Anyway, I digress.  Britt wanted the Amy Butler fabric for the bed skirt, but at $9 a yard, I thought we could do something a little different.  Many years ago, I came across a picture in some magazine of a small table skirt.  This would have been a bed side table.  Anyway, it had this pleat right in the front and was buttoned back to reveal more of the coordinating fabric.  It was just precious.  I had kept that in the back of my mind, because I knew it would look equally as good as a bed skirt.  And I thought this was the perfect time to attempt it.  I had my own bed skirt done professionally, so I used it as a guide.  It is 3 pieces and attached to the box springs using these.  They are fantastic unless the box springs are wooden which her's was.  Crap!  I wound up going to Lowes and getting upholstery nails, and they worked beautifully.  Although, they were difficult to hold in place while nailing.  I smacked my fingers quite a few times.  I think next time, I'll try a little adhesive on the nail to help hold it in place while hammering. 
I am going to Athens for the weekend, so I'll get pics of the skirt actually on the bed which I've been screaming for from my daughter for weeks.  I guess I'll just have to do it myself!  Sheesh!  We also made her headboard and an adorable throw pillow that's an Amy Butler design.  Oh and some wall art also an Amy Butler design; although, we used Britt's initials instead.  I'll be sure a snap pics of everything.  I hope I don't forget my camera this time.  When I made a trip up there to put everything together, I forgot my camera. :(  Maybe I'll put it in the car when I get home so I don't forget again.  Better yet, best to call home and leave a message on my own voice mail.  hahahaha  Yes, I have done that!

Oh, BTW, you can find a tutorial on a bed skirt much like this one here at Crafty Sisters.  This is not exactly how I did mine, but it's close enough, and there are instructions.  I don't know when I'll make another skirt to post a tutorial.  I'll be happy to answer any questions though.  Just shoot me an email.

Angela

0 comments:

Post a Comment