Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Baby Polly by Pintucks and Petticoats

This will become one of my favorite patterns.  It is really versatile and so easy to make.  I first saw this pattern in a SB issue many years ago and I believed it was used for a night gown, so I bought the pattern and it has laid in wait ever since.  Then I saw it again in SB July/August 2011 issue using smocking and tucks and knew I had to attempt it.  I did and failed miserably!!  So I opted instead for simple tucks and embroidery.

The tucks are 1/4" with space between each set of 3.  I then machine feather stitched in the open spaces.  I had this really pretty cotton lace edging and thought it would be pretty along the bottom and around the armscyes.


As my bad luck would have it, I also attempted horizontal tucks along the bottom.  And when I ripped those out, I managed to also rip a hole in the top.  It was an awful lot of work to scrap it.  I used interfacing on the wrong side of the hole, then stitched ribbon across the right side bottom to cover it.  Whew!!  I then hand embroidered an old fashioned feather stitch in between since the ribbon just seemed out of place on its own.


I was going to make the bloomers just as directed in the pattern BUT I didn't have 1/8" wide elastic and 1/4" was way too big.  I decided to try several tucks at both leg openings and decided I didn't like those.  So I opted for a large inverted pleat which then got ribbon ties on either side followed by some machine feather stitching to keep the folds in place.  I also trimmed the legs with the same cotton lace.

I must say I am having so much fun sewing for the new little girl who has graced our lives.  Mommy has also been very gracious to allow me to make little Lila an Easter dress.  So I have a smocked bishop in the works.  But I couldn't stop there.  I also have a pillow case dress awaiting an applique and ruffled butt bloomers.

I seriously think I have an addiction a problem.  And since I've ordered more fabric, I don't see it ending anytime soon.  It is so much fun sewing for a little girl again!  And I get to be her adopted Mimi.  It's great practice for when my own daughter decides to find her unicorn and start having some babies of her own. In due time!!

Thanks for stopping by!!
Angela

2 comments:

  1. We love all of her new little outfits! :) It is so much fun seeing all of your creations for her. Every single one of them is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having so much fun sewing for her! I have so many ideas and so little time! LOL

      Delete