Monday, September 12, 2011

Christmas is just around the corner.

Last year I decided to get creative with Christmas gifts since our finances took a nose dive thanks to our economy.  I sewed everything for every girl on my list.  I made smocked night gowns, purses, make up bags, and smocked dresses.  I had so much fun, I decided to do it again this year only with more interest in making things unique.


One of my first projects was this purse with a daisy embroidered on the front.  I started with this pattern and modified it to a different size and changed the width of my fabric strips to accommodate my embroidery.  I bought the daisy embroidery pattern here.  I had never done ribbon embroidery, so I thought I'd give it a shot.  I was so pleased with the results.  The only thing I don't like is the fabric is so thin, you can see my green thread on the back. :(

I also decided to add the boys to my list.  I'm making them boxer shorts.  You can find the pattern here and here.  They are available in adult and kid sizes.  These are terrific because they have a panel in the back that keeps them from riding up.  I've made 5 so far.  I put 3 of them together yesterday in about 2 hours - maybe a little longer.  They are also great for girls.  In fact, I've already had requests.  My 7 year old had to have his now, so I relented.  He loves them. 


Speaking of my 7 year old.  Last year he wanted me to make him a lion costume for a book parade at school.  At first he said I wasn't that talented. lol  He said: "Mom, you are talented but not that talented!"  Can you imagine?  With no pattern and only very specific ideas from a 7 year old, I went to work to prove him wrong.  It was really challenging, and there were times when I thought "I give up."  But I just kept hearing his words in my head over and over again.  I finally got through it, and the finished product satisfied my very opinionated and picky little guy.  He loved it.  Only I created a monster.  He's come up with all sorts of things now he wants me to make.  And now he says; "Mom, is there anything you can't sew?"  And that's the reason for my title.  Just give me a needle, and he thinks I could sew just about anything.

I hope you enjoy my blog.  It's relatively new, and I'm still working on getting photos posted.  Feel free to email with questions.  It's fun to share ideas with others that share my passion.

Angela

0 comments:

Post a Comment