This was by far the hardest project I've tackled. My daughter had been looking for the perfect overnight bag and wanted one she could monogram. After a lot of searching, we came across this pattern from Amy Butler. When I actually looked at the pattern, I'll have to admit, I was a bit intimidated. Then I discovered that there were about 3 different patterns for this same bag - all with different material requirements! Really?!?!? Undeterred, I sent an email to one of the staff at Amy Butler Designs, and she graciously sent me the correct material requirements. She went on to offer me encouragement as I was really terrified. It took me several weeks to get it completed, but I was only able to work on it for an hour or two during the week and several hours on the weekend. Plus I had a ton of other projects I was working on. I put my seam ripper through the works on this bag. I bet I ripped out seams 10 times. I did not have my sewing machine (it was in the shop), and I had borrowed a friend's. It did not have the presser foot I needed. It was really hard using the zipper foot to crowd the piping when sewing the side of the bag to the front. The first side made me say some really ugly words. But I was finally able to use a different presser foot that worked - not the zipper - to attach that side. Once I had the piping safely in the right position, it was easy to go back with the zipper foot and really crowd it. The second side required no ripping of seams - hallelujah! And it took a lot less time than the first side - and no bad words. lol Fabrics used were Daisy Chain Sweet Jasmine Mist outside and Daisy Chain Daisy Bouquet Turquoise for the lining, handles and decorative piping.
The bag is finished except for the monogram, and I was pleased with the end product. I have some material left over, so I'm thinking of making a matching make-up bag or jewelry case. I'm working on a new design now for a make-up bag that would also accommodate make-up brushes. I'll have to post on that when I get it finished.
The one complaint with the pattern is I did not like the way they finished the piping ends on the bag, so if I do another one, I'll handle the piping much differently. I'll have to post on that at a later date too. There is actually a way you can make the piping appear seamless rather than crossing it over at the ends. I would definitely make this bag again. It should be much easier the second time around.......yeah, right!