Thursday, December 8, 2011

Time for a Change!




I found this adorable changing pad pattern on Bernina's website.  I thought it would make a great Christmas gift for my great-nephew.  Did I just say great??  Boy that feels old!  Anyway, it took me all of 2 hours, and that was with several interruptions and distractions.  The one thing I did not like was the pony tail band for the closure.  I'll do something different the next time I make this.

Here is a picture of it when it's open.



There is a pouch at the bottom to store wipes and a few diapers, then simply fold it up and toss it in the diaper bag.  Very easy.  I made my own double fold bias tape for the first time ever.  It wasn't that bad, but it was not that easy either.  Perhaps it's time to invest in one of the many bias tape makers on the market.

The pattern called for chenille or some other soft fabric for the lining.  I opted out of the chenille, since I know from experience that it sheds.  I also wasn't sure how it would hold up with repeated washings.  I chose a simple cotton.  I wanted flannel, but they had nothing to match my focus fabric.  All in all though, I think it will make a great gift.  I'll throw some wipes in with it.   One more gift down.  And at last count, I had only 4 more, and only 2 of those are home made.  Yay!

And here is a sneak peak at some burp cloths I'm making for my other great-nephew.  Yeah, I said great again.  I should have these completed this weekend.  This is a project that my little friend, Emma, is helping with.  She cut most of the pieces herself.  She's coming for the weekend, and we'll finish them up then.  I have to get them sent off next week if they are to arrive before Christmas.



Angela

2 comments:

  1. Super cute! I love the fabric on the changing pad - looks like rows and rows of cheerful rickrack but without the edges. Found you via Sew Many Ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. I love the rickrack look. And I love that blog!

      Delete