Friday, February 28, 2014
Georgia Day Costume (sort of tutorial)
So I went searching online for pictures of authentic Native American clothing until I found one I thought I could replicate. You can see it is a little long for him, but he has plenty of growing room. This was super easy to make.
I had a football jersey pattern, and I used that neckline to draw on my fabric. I folded the fabric first to get my length right. The shoulders have no seams. That is the folded edge. I traced my neckline and cut it out. Then I used a shirt Robbie had to measure the arm length, and I marked that. I wanted extra wide sleeves, so I could cut the fringes without have to sew them in. I allowed a generous 3 to 4 inches for the fringes.
I stitched my seams with wrong sides together. Then went back and cut my fringes right up to the seam line. I did add a piece of fabric at the neckline to cut those fringes. I found some beads at Joann's and hand stitched those to the neckline to hide the seam. I also measured up the side seam (from the bottom) and drew in my line to get that angled cut at the bottom.
I found the fabric at Joann's with the embroidery already done and used the same fabric for his headband.
The fabric was a knit, so I didn't have to finish any of the edges. Yay! Easy, peasy project. And I tried to stay as close to authentic as possible to be respectful.
Let me know if you have questions.
Thanks for stopping by.