Monday, January 23, 2012

Going Green!

These are snack bags that I found here.  We were going through piles of baggies for school lunches and snacks.  Rob and I have been much more conscious of recycling and conserving.  We subscribe to a recycling service since they don't offer it along with our sanitation service.  But we felt it was very important, so we don't mind paying the nominal fee.  These guys offer a discount to neighborhoods that have a certain amount of people who subscribe.  Anyway, I bought some plastic sandwich containers a few months ago and use small plastic containers for fruit and anything that might be messy.  All BPA free containers of course.  But these little guys are perfect for nuts or pretzels or any type of dry food.  When they get dirty, just toss them in the wash.  Robbie's lunch box this morning was baggie-free.  I'm toying with the idea of lining some with laminate fabric for those messy items.  They just fit neater in the lunch box.

Here is a close up:


DO NOT use sticky velcro.  It will not work on fabric.  Make certain to get sew in.  I actually brought this one to work this morning for my nuts.  Not only are they great for kids, but they'll work for adult snacks too!

I also made some of these this weekend.  I was so tired of going into my linen closet and having to pull apart sheets to see what size they were.  Problem solved with these.  I'll post pics tomorrow.

I am almost finished with Britt's new make-up bag too.  I should have pics of it in a day or so.

And I am uber excited that I found the very first piece of furniture for my sewing room.  I am in the process of designing a hutch for the top of it.  I ran into a bit of a problem with a light switch.  Stupid switch is in the wrong place.  I wanted to work on it this weekend while Rob and Robbie were out of town, but it was raining, and painting in the rain just doesn't work.  I did manage to get it sanded.  I have to pick up the wood sometime this week to build the hutch.  But I have to decide on the dimensions first.  I'll either have to make the hutch shorter so the switch will sit above it (there is no other place to put the switch in that room). Or move it to another wall.  Which I really don't want to do, because it will totally mess up my plans for my cutting table dimensions.  I could build the hutch just like I had planned and put it right where I want it and to heck with the switch.  But I'm not sure if I want to be reaching behind it to turn on the lights.

So once I have thoroughly over-analyzed this, I'll get started on the fun part of building it.

Angela

0 comments:

Post a Comment