Monday, January 30, 2012

Progress on my hutch.

This is the piece of furniture that I found on Craigslist for $35.  It had some dings, and it's not the prettiest piece, but I knew I was painting so it didn't matter.  I didn't want to invest a huge amount, since this is my first finishing type project.  I put a little wood filler in places to make sure I had a smooth surface.

Here is the painted piece now.

This will be my base piece.  My only regret is not finding a piece of real wood furniture.  This is laminate.  I also bought gloss paint at the suggestion of the girl at Lowe's.  I won't make that mistake again.  Gloss is very difficult to work with unless you are using a paint sprayer.

And these little babies will be the hutch.

I wanted a curved top and sides but wasn't sure how I was going to get symmetry.  So I decided to use Robbie's headboard as a guide.  I used tissue paper to trace the design of his headboard then cut it out and transferred it to the big part which will be the back part of the hutch.  Then cut it using a jigsaw.  I used a portion of the headboard to create the side design, but it took a little more freehand to get it right.  Lesson #2: do not use plywood if you want a smooth surface.  See that primed piece in the middle.  That is after I sanded and sanded and sanded.  The black piece is a piece of 1x12 that I had left over from Britt's bench.  And since I have already invested the money for the back piece, I have something a little different in mind for it.  I hope to have pics of it Wednesday.  I hope it turns out the way I've envisioned.  So I have that to finish and the one side piece left to cut (again) and paint.  Then I'll put it together.  I hope to have it completely finished this weekend.

And my awesome hubby bought a new jigsaw for me last night!!  Now I won't have to borrow my friend's any longer.  He almost bought a sander and work table too.  Yay for me.  I guess since I'm not in the kitchen so much anymore, he doesn't mind my new hobby!  

I am also working on Robbie's quilt.  I cut out the sections yesterday and hope to start piecing it together this week.  I am also making another quilt, which I'll have more on later.


1 comment:

  1. Angela - you are so talented! What a great idea to use a headboard as a design template. You are going to end up with a really beautiful hutch - I can't wait to see the finished result. How nice to have a new jig-saw too :)
    The paint looks really good from the picture - I am having a similar issue with a chair I am refinishing. I didn't use the right primer and hadn't stripped off the old varnish enough - or sanded enough...I had major paint bubbling and lifting. I had to re-strip it and sand it really carefully. Now I am waiting for the weather to warm up so I can start over!
    Looking forward to seeing more pictures :)